From starting a business to managing your team, take notes from Starling’s own resident experts, in a series of online sessions designed to help your business fly.
Starting your own business or thinking of it? Find out what you need to know, with these short, practical guides.
- Setting up a limited company
- Types of business ownership
- Setting up as a sole trader
- Is a business partnership right for you?
- Your guide to choosing a business name
- Sole trader or limited company - which is best for you?
- Person with significant control explained
- How to price a product
- How to price your services
- Finding an accountant
- Bookkeeping tips for small businesses
- How do I keep my accounts in order?
- How to improve your cashflow
Up and running
Your business is up and running - congratulations! Our simple, accessible guides can help take you to the next level.
Running a business
- What is business insurance?
- Keeping your company information up to date
- Gross profit vs net profit
- What is cost of sales and how is it calculated?
- Hiring your first employee
- What is payroll and how to pay your employees
- Why you still need a business card
- How much cash reserve should I keep?
- Giving your business a regular health check
- Practical support to help your business go green
- How to calculate your carbon emissions
- How to use Pinterest for your business
- Carving out a niche market for your business
- How to write a winning business plan
- Pivot your company: How to change your business model
- How to grow your business on Instagram
- A guide to LinkedIn for small business owners
- P45 and P60 PAYE forms: What employers should know
- What is Making Tax Digital?
- How much should I save for tax?
- Dividends vs salary: What's better for company directors?
- Making Tax Digital: Income tax self-assessment
- What are the tax deadlines for my business?
How our Business Toolkit can help
The Business Toolkit lets you upload bills as soon as you receive them and schedule payments to help you manage your cash flow.Read more
We’ll show you what admin needs to be done in a handy interactive to-do list. No more sleepless nights over bookkeeping.Read more
Create and send invoices directly from your desktop, and connect your online banking to your email.Read more
Record VAT on your transactions, which means less admin for you. Connect to HMRC and submit your returns through Making Tax Digital.Read more
Good news for sole traders: see an up-to-date estimate of the money you need to save aside for the self employment part of your tax return.Read more
The big plus for the Business Toolkit is that it does everything. The payments link up seamlessly and the automatic nature of it is great."
"I probably used to spend a day a month on bookkeeping. Now, it’s more like half a day - I photograph receipts as I go. The invoicing feature is also really helpful, it works really neatly.”Becca Williams