We've built some of the world's best banking security. Then added tools that help you do security your way, from logging in to making payments online.
How the Starling app is secured
Passport or UK driving licence
To apply for our current account, we’ll ask you to share a government-issued identity document so we can verify the details you’ve given us and check they’re genuine, which helps to prevent identity fraud.
Features to help keep you safe
- Real-time notifications. Stay in the loop about what’s coming in and out of your account.
- Card controls. Choose whether you want to allow or disable contactless and chip & pin payments, ATM withdrawals, online payments and your mobile wallet – or freeze or cancel your card instantly if you think it might be lost or stolen.
- Biometric identification. Fingerprint or facial recognition is one of the most secure ways to log in to your app. It’s worth setting up if your phone supports it.
- 3D Secure. It’s an extra layer of security when you use your card online. When this is required, we’ll send you a push notification for you to approve the transaction directly in-app.
- Confirmation of Payee. This helps us confirm that the name on the account you are paying is who you think it is.
Peace of mind
As you’d expect from your bank, your eligible deposits up to £85,000 are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
Making sure your data stays safe
No one but you should be able to access your personal information, so we’ve built controls across the entire bank to make sure your personal data stays safe, secure and compliant with GDPR.
Financial fraud has become very sophisticated and these crimes can have a devastating impact on victims. We consider it our responsibility to educate customers on the types of scams we know to exist, and how you can spot these.
Find out more about how to protect yourself against fraud
Find out more about money mules
Find out more about how we approach fraud prevention