Voted Best Current Account Provider by the British Bank Awards
Apply for a free, award-winning and fully-licenced UK bank account in minutes, with protection for your money up to £85,000 from the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
Not your average current account.
Do everything you used to do in a branch – on your phone.
Fast and free access
Apply for a free account right now in minutes.
Money management, made easy
Get instant payment notifications and smart tools to help with budgeting and saving.
Chat to our all-human, UK-based team in the app, whenever works best for you.
Features fit for an award-winning account.
- Instant notifications. Get an alert whenever payments leave or enter your account.
- Categorised spending insights. Seeing where, when and how you’re spending makes budgeting fast and easy.
- Spaces. Put money aside in virtual piggy banks, automatically round up transactions to save the change and give someone a Connected card if they’re spending on your behalf.
- All your financial products, in one place. Connect with some of the UK’s best financial products – like your mortgage, insurance or pension – via our Marketplace.
- A new way to pay. Settle up IOUs with a simple payment link, send money to nearby Starling customers or split bills with a tap.
"I used to be so unaware of where my money was going but now, with Starling’s instant notifications and reminders about upcoming payments, checking in on my finances is part of my everyday life."
Banking. But less hassle.
- Seamless switching. Move all your finances over to Starling in a few taps by using the Current Account Switch Service (CASS).
- Lock your card with a tap. Use the app to lock your card if it goes missing – and block gambling transactions and payment methods, too.
- No fees overseas. Use both your card and ATMs freely when you travel, with no extra charges from us.
- All your admin, in the app. Change your address, cancel your card, set up new accounts and more.
- Send money internationally. With no hidden fees, and at a competitive rate.
- Lending, reimagined. Control your overdraft in-app (if eligible), with a market leading rate of 15% APR* (variable), and no hidden fees or unfair unarranged charges. Need to borrow a bit more? Our personal loans are fairly priced and easily managed from your mobile.
"I really like the way the home screen breaks down what you’ve spent in a day and how easy it is to get a PIN reminder in the app."
Everything you need. Nothing you don’t.
- Cheque deposits. Just scan the cheque with your camera to make a deposit.
- Cash. Withdraw from ATMs and deposit cash at any one of the Post Office’s 11,500 branches.
- Earn interest. Get 0.05% AER on balances up to £85,000.
- Online banking. You can also manage your Starling account from your laptop or computer.
- Additional accounts. Like to manage your money across multiple accounts? Add an additional account for £2 per month.
"I used to get a sense of dread when I opened my banking app. Now, I feel in control and more at ease."
How to open a free current account
Download the Starling Bank app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store
Enter your phone number and the verification code we’ll send you
Complete your personal details
Enter your number in the box below and we’ll send you a text with a link to download the app. Follow the steps in the app to apply for our app-based account.
Click the ‘Get the app’ button in the bottom right of your screen and you’ll be taken to your app store to download the Starling Bank app. Once installed, you can apply for an account in under five minutes.
How does Starling’s current account stack up against other banks?
Spoiler alert: we come out on top in most areas.
Thousands of happy current account customers
Frequently asked questions
What is a current account?
It’s a bank account designed for holding and withdrawing money. Most people have their salaries paid into a current account, and they’re used for things like Direct Debits and paying bills, too.
Can you have more than one current account?
Yes. For just £2 a month, you can open a secondary current account (for holding GBP only).
Is a debit card a current account?
When you open a current account, you’ll usually be sent a debit card, too – so you can make transactions from your account. Learn more about debit cards, account numbers and sort codes.
How do I put money in a current account?
You can add money to your account from another bank account by using your Starling account number and sort code. As Starling is part of the Faster Payments network, your money will be sent across instantly. Another way of adding money to your account is by visiting your local Post Office and depositing cash at the till.
How do I switch current accounts?
It’s really easy to make Starling your main bank account – in fact, we’ll do most of the work for you. The whole process takes just a few clicks from you and seven working days to complete. Read more about our current account switch service.
Independent service quality survey results
Personal current accounts
Published February 2021.
As part of a regulatory requirement, an independent survey was conducted to ask approximately 1000 customers of each of the 17 largest personal current account providers if they would recommend their provider to friends and family. The results represent the view of customers who took part in the survey.
View the full set of results.
In addition to this independent survey, we are also required to publish Financial Conduct Authority Service Quality Information for personal accounts.