A greener way to bank.
The banking industry hasn’t always made sustainability a priority. But we’re out to change that for good.
We’re a digital-first bank
Sustainability isn’t something we aspire to achieve – it’s a fundamental part of who we are, and why we exist.
We launched to the public in 2017. Branchless and paperless from the very beginning, we quickly transformed the way people traditionally manage their money.
No branches with huge carbon footprints, and no paper statements or unnecessary post either.
From the big to the small
All four of our UK offices run on renewable energy. Our newest office, in Manchester, was built with sustainable design principles and is home to 80,000 worker bees – that’s actual bees, not a cute name for our colleagues.
In 2021, our debit cards became the first UK Mastercard cards to be made from recycled plastic. Our packaging is also 100% recyclable, with a more eco-friendly water-based glue.
A purposeful partnership with the National Trust
The National Trust looks after the places you love, from houses, buildings and gardens to coast and countryside. Working with the Trust, we’re:
- investing in workshops to give primary and secondary school children better access to nature
- supporting sustainability projects, such as protecting and restoring peatland, one of our most important terrestrial carbon stores
- providing our staff with the chance to volunteer at a site, lending a hand on conservation and maintenance projects
Fancy a free day out? Refer a friend to Starling to earn a free day pass at a National Trust place of your choice.Read more about our partnership
Our other partnerships
Trillion TreesBy the end of our partnership in March 2023, we funded the planting of 100,000 trees.
Partnership for Carbon Accounting FinancialsWorking with other members to improve how the industry measures emissions linked to lending and investments.
We’re committed to net zero by 2050
Following our first carbon footprint audit in 2021, we made a number of commitments:
- Reach net zero before 2050
- Reduce emissions from our operations and supply chain by one third by 2030
- Offset remaining emissions from our operations and supply chain annually
We offset our emissions by purchasing carbon credits. Projects we have supported so far include fighting deforestation, planting trees, enabling fuel efficient cooking in developing countries and supporting renewable energy projects.See the details of our 2023 offsetting programme
Confused by sustainability, or just want to learn more?
- We’ve pulled together our most-read articles on the subject from our website:
- For support on helping your own business go green, or for inspiration, discover our guides and case studies: